Happy Doctors' Day!


 

The first time I saw my son was on a paediatric ventilator. I knew I was supposed to feel worried, anxious, but all I was feeling was guilty, very very guilty. I had let my family down. Because of me, my son was on ventilator, if only I had done something right. 

My husband was seething with anger, not a very common sight. Doctors had no idea why my son all of 48 hours would not breathe normally. and then Dr Anand came. He was HOD, Paediatrics, Mata Channan Devi Hospital. One look at my son and he said, "Main keh raha hun pneumothorax hai." and 17days later I walked out of the hospital, with my son in my arms. 

Dr Anand gave me my spirit back that day. 

13 years later, I am yet again doing rounds of hospitals with my son trying to figure out the reason of the limp and we meet Dr Raj Devashis Chakravarty. One look at my son and he confirms SCFE, or Slipped capital femoral epiphysis and in next 2 months my son is operated and back on his regular routine. 

Dr Vijay Kakkar, a plastic surgeon, a family friend, and a personal favourite of my daughter who has pulled her through so many difficult time. She almost lost front part of her finger if it wasn't for the timely efforts and intervention by 'Bhaiya' as we lovingly call him. He has always been there for us.  One day, 3 years she cut herself deep and Bhaiya managed to talk to her to take care of her wound like no one else would. Sometimes we forget that Doctors have a life beyond their call of duty. 

I am guilty of it. My sister was not well recently and I called Bhaiya 10 times the same day. sometimes knowing well that it is his lunch time. He graciously picked up all my calls and helped me through my queries till I got her admitted. 

These are only Some times. I have been witness to the dedication and commitment of doctors all my life. My father, my mother, my mother in law, good medical aid can do wonders for people.

I guess today I just want to say, A very happy Doctors' Day. To all doctors. A big thank you and a big sorry. Thank You for ensuring that you are there for us and Sorry that sometimes we just forget that you are more than a Doctor. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too eager to share!!!

Performance Management- The Soft Side

Think out of the box...